Tommy Waters For Honolulu City Council District IV
My name is Tommy Waters and I'm running for our District IV seat on the Honolulu City Council. I am a life long resident of Hawaiʻi. I grew up in the Waiʻalae area, graduated from Kamehameha Schools, UH Mānoa undergrad, and UH Richardson School of Law.
I served three terms in the State House of Representatives where I Chaired the House Committee on Higher Education, overseeing the entire UH 10 campus budget. I championed the Community Colleges and helped obtain funds for Windward Community College's new library as well as Kapiʻolani CC's Culinary Arts facility. I also had the opportunity to Chair the House Committee on Judiciary where I fought for tougher DUI laws to include passing the ignition interlock bill and overseeing the budget for the court system state wide.
As a State Representative, I also:
- Fought for stronger environmental legislation to ensure our drinking water is safe, oceans remain pristine, and mountains lush and accessible;
- Fixed the Waimānalo Waste water system that had been leaching sewage into the ocean;
- Fought for and helped build two community centers in Waimānalo where the community can gather for events as well as utilize work space for start up businesses;
- Fought for immunity of lifeguards who put their life on the line everyday to keep our beaches safe;
- Worked with stakeholders to reduce traffic along Kal. Hwy by creating carve outs for the bus and left turn lanes; and,
- Fixed the dangerous curve near Olomana Golf course when Mr. Seabury was killed by a drunk driver.
As a career public servant, I have additionally served on the Neighborhood Board, Ka Wai Nui Marsh Task Force, Ice and Drug Abatement Committee, and the Judicial Selection Commission.
I am the fifth of six kids, but the only one living in Hawaiʻi. My sisters and brother live on the mainland and both of my parents moved to the mainland and passed away there as they couldn't afford to live here. I want our kids and generations to come to know the Hawaiʻi that you and I grew up in and it scares me to think that my kids won't be able to afford to live here.
If elected, my goals are to combat: our epidemic homelessness problem; housing shortage; Monster Homes; transient vacation rentals; traffic; and crime.
Please contact me via email at email@example.com or on my cell at (808) 354-1178 if you have any questions or concerns.
Mahalo for your consideration and I hope I can count on your support.
Candidate for Honolulu City Council District IV